Wednesday, March 3, 2010

"The University Library"


My first visit to the library, apart from getting the 'Rental Text Books' issued, was not very pleasant. I was asked by a professor to get some books on 'Transducers'. As I was new to the place I knew almost nothing about the place. I did not know that there was a different section for Technology. Besides, I knew very little about Transducers. So the search began! It started by looking up of the meaning of Transducers in the Physics Dictionary. I wasted two three hours in that. With a severe headache, I returned empty handed. Pledges were taken never to visit the dreadful place again. Though in my four years of stay I never got anything technical issued, I accidentally discovered a new Section on English Fiction. It was going to become my only reason to visit the library. The section gave me many lovely books to read. In the process I learnt that unknown books can also be very interesting. Books which were not very famous, in fact which were unheard of.
For a long time I was searching for a novel titled "To Kill A Mockingbird". A friend of mine got it for me from the library. I started reading. To my dismay, I found that some of the last pages were missing. I was shattered. Later, I completed it from an ebook.
Some of the books which I read from the library are - "Delhi- a novel" by Khushwant Singh. It was a beautifully written piece and Khushwant Singh needs no introduction. He is among my all time favorites. Others include "Sons and Lovers" by D.H.Lawrence, "Keep the Aspidistra Flying" -Orwell, and many more.
I cherish those days when I had the luxury of reading good novels and books and there was a place I could look for them - The University Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment